I forgot to write a quick post about setting up Travis CI for building my website. After the investigations into rewriting here and here, I decided that it was too much work and I chose to stick with jekyll.
One of the pain points of working with this system is that since I am using some custom plugins, I am unable to have github pages auto-deploy my website. This means that to get an auto-deployed website, I need to go through a different 3rd party. Luckily this is where travis comes to the rescue!
Travis CI is a free CI/CD environment for open source projects and allows you to build and deploy code based on various triggers. For me, a simple push to the
master branch of my website Github Repo will kick off a build. If all goes well, it then pushes that build to the
gh-pages branch of my site. Using this configuration significantly reduced the complexity of updating my website and means that I do not need to remember to build before committing.
Getting Things Running
I found some great sources of help on the internet, but of course customized my build to my tastes. One interesting pain-point that I ran into was getting github submodules checked out. I have a submodule that contains my current(ish) resume which I need to grab when building my site. I had to do some trickery to get that cloned since it is set up with an
ssh-styled remote url. This is an issue since I prefer to use
ssh to push to github instead of the
https protocol (so I don’t need to always specify my password). Based off of a conversation here, others were having a similar issue.
The solution is fairly simple, just use
sed to replace
https://github.com in the
.gitmodules file and then manually grab the module.
# Handle git submodules yourself, based off of https://github.com/algolia/examples/issues/24 git: submodules: false # Use sed to replace the SSH URL with the public URL, then initialize submodules before_install: - sed -i 'email@example.com:/https:\/\/github.com\//' .gitmodules - git submodule update --init --recursive
After getting the submodule working properly, the only other bits were getting some caching in place and setting up a github token to push to the repository. This is then set up as an environment variable for the build and the
.travis.yaml file has access to it.
It is so nice to be able to have my blog now updated whenever I write a post. Oh, and I also get to use a fancy badge now so that I can see if things are working properly
Here you can see the final
.travis.yml file. What a simple little bit of code and a few checkboxes to get it all running! Travis is really fast and really worth it whether you have a public or private repo and can get you on the CI/CD pipeline quickly and painlessly.
language: ruby cache: bundler # caching bundler gem packages will speed up build branches: only: - master script: - JEKYLL_ENV=production bundle exec jekyll build --destination docs deploy: provider: pages local-dir: ./docs skip-cleanup: true github-token: $GITHUB_TOKEN keep-history: true ############### Git Submodule (for resume) Hack ############### # Handle git submodules yourself, based off of https://github.com/algolia/examples/issues/24 git: submodules: false # Use sed to replace the SSH URL with the public URL, then initialize submodules before_install: - sed -i 'firstname.lastname@example.org:/https:\/\/github.com\//' .gitmodules - git submodule update --init --recursive